Ron Paul Not Suspending Campaign
As the mainstream media continues to idiotically blather on about Ron Paul “quitting”, the campaign is forging ahead, today releasing a memo outlining Paul’s strategy for the GOP national convention.
“Let me be very clear,” writes chief strategist Jesse Benton in the opening lines of the memo, “Dr. Paul is NOT dropping out or suspending his campaign.”
“As Dr. Paul has previously stated, he is in this race all the way to the Republican National Convention in Tampa this August,” Benton adds, noting that the campaign will look to maximize the resources it has, thus it will not fruitlessly pour money into the remaining primary states.
“We will continue to run strong programs at district and state [party] conventions to win more delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention.” Benton continues, noting that the campaign will enter a “new phase” on Friday at the Minnesota state GOP convention, where Paul will make an appearance.
While Benton acknowledges that “barring something very unforeseen”, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney will now secure enough delegates to win the nomination, he asks Paul supporters to stay positive and help the Congressman secure a legacy for the future of the liberty movement.
“We are in an excellent position to make sure the Republican Party adds solid liberty issues to the GOP platform, which our delegates will be directly positioned to approve.” Benton states.
“Our delegates can still make a major impact at the national convention and beyond.” Including, he adds, using their influence “to shape the process for future liberty candidates.”
“By sending a large, respectful, and professional delegation to Tampa, we will show the Party and the country that not only is our movement growing and here to stay, but that the future belongs to us,” Benton notes, perhaps tacitly asking supporters to rise above the recent dirty tricks that Romney supporters and GOP insiders have attempted to pull at state conventions.
In comments to reporters, Benton elaborated on the calls for decorum, noting “We our doing everything in our power to work with out supporters to make sure decorum and respect are the name of the game.” Benton added that he was well aware that “our supporters are going to get an excessive amount of blame for problems that arise at heated conventions.”
Senior Paul advisor Doug Wead also elaborated, noting “Shouting people down is not Ron Paul’s way. Winning a battle of ideals based on principles, in a respectful way, is how he approaches the contest and it is how he wants others to approach the contest as well.”
The strategy memo outlines three key areas where the Paul campaign will seek to influence policy at the national convention; monetary policy reform, prohibitions on indefinite detention and internet freedom.
Benton also told reporters that the campaign has been discussing the party platform with Mitt Romney’s team.
“I’d like to thank them for the respect that they’ve showed us,” Benton said. When asked if Ron Paul would endorse Romney, Benton said “I do not believe that is likely”. When asked if Paul would work with Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson, Benton said “No, there’s no chance of that.”
“Some will say that it is a lost cause,” Doug Wead said in his written statement today, referring to Paul’s ongoing campaign for liberty. “I will not concede but it does remind me of Clarence Darrow’s famous line, “Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for” he concluded.
“Our people have been punched, yelled at, lied to and worked until they can hardly stand.” Wead added. “But on they come, fighting for their children, fighting for their future, angry at the corruption of the banks, of Wall Street, of the lobbyists, of the Congress, of the White House. The battle for liberty is not over. It has just taken on a new phase. It cannot be stopped by the national media. If that were the case it would never have been born in the first place.”
Article written by Steve Watson
May 15, 2012
Filed under Campaign Trail by